Facts about Alateen
Alateen is an Al-Anon group for adolescent tweens and teens.
The meeting format is the same as an Al-Anon meeting. Alateens meet for the same purpose, and use the same Steps and Traditions. The only difference is that Alateen requires an Adult Al-Anon Sponsor, who is at least 21 years of age, to be present at every meeting.
The Purpose of Alateen
Young people come together to:
- Share experience, strength and hope with each other
- Discuss their difficulties
- Learn effective ways to cope with their problems
- Encourage one another
- Help each other understand the principles of the Al-Anon program
Alateen Members Learn:
- Compulsive drinking is a disease
- They can detach themselves emotionally from the drinker’s problems while continuing to love the person
- They are not the cause of anyone else’s drinking or behaviour
- They cannot change or control anyone but themselves
- They have spiritual and intellectual resources with which to develop their own
- Potentials, no matter what happens at home
- They can build satisfying and rewarding life experiences from themselves
You can download the entire pamphlet Facts About Alateen (S-41) here.
You can also download the pamphlet Has Your Life Been Affected By Someone Else’s Drinking? (S-20) – which has 20 pertinent, age appropriate questions to help you determine if your life is (or has been) affected by someone else’s drinking.
© Reprinted with permission of Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters, Inc., Virginia Beach, VA. Portions taken from Facts About Alateen (P-41).
Parents & Guardians
If you are a parent/guardian of a child who is, or has been, impacted by some else’s drinking, and want to know more about Alateen, please contact us as outlined on our Contacts page. If you want to know what their meetings are like we encourage you to attend an Al-Anon meeting; they are exactly the same except the age.
Alateen meeting locations can be found within the Meetings page and selecting the Alateen filter within the Search options.